The church of St. Francis of Assisi Parish was completed in 1864, as engraved at the main entrance. Its construction started in circa 1854, when the Dumanjug Mission Post was elevated into a parish. The work was commissioned by the Spanish Bishop Romualdo Jimeno, O. P. and was undertaken by the pioneering Pilipino Secular Priest, Rev. Fr. Matias Cabrera and Doroteo Godinez, with the freelabor support of the early natives.
The basic materials used are sea corals stone, limestone and Balayong (native black wood) which were abundant in the area then. It is interesting to note that this is one of the few old church structures in Cebu and probably in the whole Philippines, which was designed, executed, supervised and completed by Filipinos themselves.
The year 2004 marks the 150th Founding Anniversary of the parish with St. Francis of Assisi as the titular.